Sustainability at CDS
CDS Green Team
Sustainability efforts on our campus are driven by the volunteer-led CDS Green Team. The Green Team's goal is to inspire teachers, staff, students, and their families to become more environmentally responsible in a way that aligns with our Jewish values.
In recent years, the Green Team has:
- Introduced a composting and recycling system into our lunch room
- Built and maintained Pesach, Sukkot, and Havdalah teaching gardens on our campus
- Launched a TerraCycle recycling program
- Sponsored spring and fall flower sales
- Implemented an anti-idling awareness program
- Installed campus rain barrels and a PurpleAir air quality monitor
- Created Jewish holiday outdoor programming for Tu B'Shevat, Sukkot, and Shavuot
For more information on how to get involved with the Green Team, contact CDS Sustainability Coordinator Molly Muffet.
CDS Farm Stand
The CDS Farm Stand after-school program takes its participants all the way from farm to table to market! Under the leadership of Jewish environmental educator and CDS parent Josh Friedman, Farm Stand guides students in Grades 2-5 on a hands-on journey through topics such as composting, agriculture, Jewish farming practices, laws, and values, and food justice and distribution. The program was launched through a grant from the Let’s Move Pittsburgh Champion Schools Program in the “Teach Kids to Grow and Cook Food” category. Read more